The 986TheMix application page
At 98.6TheMix, we want you to have fun doing your shows, interacting with other DJs and listeners, as well as participating fully in the station. At the same time, we only want those who are serious about broadcasting. In order for everyone to have a great experience and for the station to run smoothly, we need to point out and make sure you understand some important policies that reflect our mission, principles, and goals. If you identify with us and want to be part of our team, then these rules will be easy and pleasurable to follow! Having experience as a professional DJ is not required, but having a professional attitude will help you meet station guidelines. If you have any questions about the following rules, please use our contact page or leave your questions when you fill out the application.
- 98.6TheMix is a family friendly station. Music and conversation with explicit sexual content, violence, or heavy swearing is forbidden. we define explicit as moderate to graphical mentions of sexual content. Religious music could also be considered objectional by some so we recommend you know your target audience or clearly state in your show description what genres you intend to play. In today's culture, it is difficult to avoid all objectionable content, so we will make reasonable allowances. However, if you have any doubt whatsoever about the appropriateness of content that you would like to broadcast, please talk to management. We will not look down on anyone for asking.
- Bashing will not be tolerated at all on 98.6TheMix! We want to create a positive atmosphere for DJs, listeners, and guests to enjoy. Racial bashing and derogatory comments about other DJs, management, listeners, family, friends, coworkers, and employers may be grounds for immediate dismissal.
- Harassment of DJs in any form will result in immediate dismissal. Harassment includes but is not limited to:
- constantly bugging people to listen to your show
- talking about subjects with which someone is uncomfortable (especially sexual ones)
- Refusing to leave someone alone if he/she asks you not to bother or contact him/her anymore.
- Decisions will be made on a case by case basis as to how incidents will be handled. When reporting an incident of harassment, please provide proof if possible. Proof can include chat logs, phone or Skype recordings, or emails. You do not need to directly confront the person you are accusing; however, you MUST have a live phone or Skype conversation with the management team.
- Management prefers that when possible you deal with the situation yourself. We only ask that you be civil when it comes to station related matters. Outside of that, if you want to block somebody's personal account that is your decision and the other person must respect that.
- If you make false charges against anyone who is later found innocent, you will be promptly dismissed. We do investigate any claims that are made.
- Management will not act on past cases of harassment from other stations or groups since you are making the decision to join our station knowing that you have had problems with a staff member. New problems will be dealt with as they arise. If someone applies after you have joined us then you can let us know of any potential problems between you and that person.
- Do not hint or threaten a fellow dj that they will be fired or in some kind of trouble. If we find you have done this, then you will be at risk for being let go regardless of the situation. You will not be in trouble for suggesting privately to management that someone should be let go.
- Do not post anything to social media or the listeners list without the dj's permission. If you give someone permission to post on your behalf, then you must let management know via email you have done so. Posting that you are listening to someone's show does not count as posting for someone.
- 98.6 the mix is part of the Jared Rimer network. You may not use your E-mail address to take over, send spam, misrepresent the station, or cause harm to other members.
- You may not engage in account takeover schemes such as using your address to take over someone's account at another service.
- You may not give out your password to your account to anyone except management to help you with mail issues.
- You may not have anyone access your account on your behalf without management knowing about it.
- This policy includes any account owned by 986TheMix that is not on the Jared Rimer Network account. These include but is not limited to
and any additional accounts we made obtain in the future.
- The Ice Cast Server,
- If we have clear and convincing evidence that you have violated this policy, it will be an immediate termination from 986TheMix, and The Jared Rimer Network.
- 98.6 the mix expects all broadcasters to license their own copies of software.
- It is not DJ or management responsibility to pass out licenses, as this is illegal, and companies that find out can revoke them.
- We do provide some software, such as encoders, Winamp, and other basic plugins that are freely available.
- 98.6 the mix can provide demo software upon request.
- You may not ask management or DJ's for licenses to software. If they say no, you must respect this wish.
- There will be no mentioning of other stations on the air with the exception of any stations that no longer exist. You will not get in trouble for accidentally mentioning another stationís call letters on the air unless you mention the station frequently.
- Simulcasting on another public station is not permitted. You may broadcast on your private shoutcast server if desired, but you cannot public advertise it to listeners either on air or using any of the mix's options for advertising such as social media, listeners list, etc.
- We do not prevent you from working on other stations, but your time slot on 98.6Themix is stictly for TheMix.
- If you have three unexcused show absences in a row, you will be politely dismissed from your DJ duties on 986TheMix. We determine unexcused absences by failure to not communicate with management when you do not show up.
- If you know that you will not be able to do your show, please let us know within 24 hours before your start time when possible. You can email, iMessage, text, call, Facetime Audio, or Skype management when notifying us of absences.
- If you are more than 15 minutes late for your show, you are considered absent unless you have spoken with management ahead of time.
This only affects new or returning Dj's. Current arrangements are not affected by these set of guidelines.
- We allow for Dj's to prerecord their shows. However, it is the Dj's or producers responsibility to air them during their time slot. Management can assist with basic encoder set up through Winamp or Station Playlist. We want the Dj to have full control and be responsible for there content and when it airs.
- You can ask a staff member about airing your show before signing up for 986TheMix. However, we ask you only do this if internet connectivity is an issue. You can also ask a staff member or management to play your show if something comes up and you are not able to air it during your time slot.
- This does not apply to live shows that sometimes get prerecorded. Management, or any current staff member can run the show during your normal time slot upon request.
Privacy and Security
- Only mention fellow DJs by DJ names. Use a DJ's real name only with his/her permission or if they refer to them self by their real name on air.
- Do not give out any passwords or internal files from 98.6TheMix to anyone!! If anybody asks you for any passwords you must refer them to management and allow us to handle the situation. If you have any "guest DJs" that are not affiliated with 98.6TheMix then you must be the one to put them on the air.
Communicating with management
- Management will not communicate with anybody on your behalf unless you designate someone ahead of time. This applies whether you are a current or former dj of 986themix.
- Persons can only be authorized in writing. We prefer you use the application for this purpose, but an email written to our management address found on the contact page will be accepted. This also includes notifying us of any legal guardians.
- Management will not ask if you authorize anyone to speak for you. It is your responsibility to inform us in writing. We will make an exception if someone is informing us of something serious such as a major injury.
- When reporting a situation to management, we prefer that you include chat logs when possible. This will help us assess the situation and act accordingly.
- When asking you about a situation, you will be presented with an opertunity from the beginning to explain your side of it. It is always best to be truthful with us as it will afect how management chooses to handle the situation.
- A decision to let someone go is made by all of management. We only do this if you have indicated that by violating certain policies that you are a threat, or despite trying to work with you on what the issue is, you still won't cooperate with us.
- Management will be happy to clarify any questions you have on these policies so there is no mis-understanding.
For those of you that are acting as a producer or wanting to have someone produce your show, please continue to our producer guidelines Otherwise, please continue to our application. If not interested, then we thank you for your time and hope that you will remain a listener.
Copyright 2014 - 2019
by 98.6 the mix in cooperation with the Jared Rimer Network. All jingles and promos are done by Nick Baker of Nab Productions. No portions of this website may be reproduced without written consent of 98.6 the Mix or the Jared Rimer Network.
We would like to thank the following contributers:
- the Jared Rimer Network for web hosting services
- Ultrahost our provider for Internet Radio broadcasting services. Please feel free to check out their web-hosting and streaming plans.
- GRC Inc. for allowing us to run Security Now!
- last but not least, Nab productions who give us our awsome jingles